w e ' r e h i r i n g !
J O B A N N O U N C E M E N T • S O C A L C O S H • O R G A N I Z E R / T R A I N E R
The Southern California Coalition for Occupational Safety and Health (SoCalCOSH) is hiring an organizer/trainer to advance worker health and safety in the Southern California region.
This work will include a focus on worker health and safety in the context of addressing the rise of insecure employment, attacks on immigrant, low-wage, LGBTQ, and workers of color, and the prevalence of workplace sexual harassment & retaliation. We are looking for someone who is innately creative, excited about intersectional worker organizing, and enjoys collaboration and relationship-building.
SoCalCOSH is part of a vibrant network of approximately 20 COSH groups throughout the United States that work at the local, state and national level to ensure worker health and safety protections and a voice for all workers. Locally, SoCalCOSH regularly collaborates with community-based organizations, unions and worker centers to promote safe and healthy jobs through worker outreach, education and policy initiatives. SoCalCOSH partners with allies in the region to convene meetings of the OSH Activist Network and to organize annual Workers Memorial Day activities to pay tribute to workers that have suffered workplace injuries, illness and fatalities.
The organizer/trainer will help to build worker power through outreach & training efforts, and will work closely with coalition partners to strengthen workplace policies and workers’ ability to organize for safe & healthy jobs. SoCalCOSH is a fiscally sponsored project of Community Partners, and this Organizer/Trainer will be an employee of Community Partners, reporting to the SoCalCOSH Coordinator.
• Work collaboratively with ally organizations to outreach, train, and recruit worker leaders to participate in actions and policy initiatives related to advancing healthy, safe, and secure workplaces.
• Facilitate Know Your Rights and Health & Safety Awareness trainings with workers.
• Work closely with the coordinator to convene quarterly meetings of the OSH Activist network.
• Assist with the planning, outreach and facilitation of public events, actions, and workplace safety meetings.
• Implement outreach and communication strategies through various social media platforms (i.e. website, Facebook, listservs, etc.)
• Participate in national, statewide, and local coalitions to create and implement strategies that advance worker health and safety through outreach, education and policy initiatives.
• Highly organized. Ability to work independently, without supervision, and to take initiative.
• Excellent outreach & communication skills. Experience facilitating worker trainings & meetings is a plus.
• Experience with labor movement, worker organizing, and/or coalitions
• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations. Bilingual (English-Spanish preferred).
• Experience with writing grant proposals & reporting is a plus.
• Proficiency with computers including database management (Excel and Access a plus), and internet skills.
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends, dependent on campaign needs.
start date, location, compensation & benefits
This will be based in Los Angeles, CA. Start date will be as soon as possible. Salary range $42,000 - $50,000, commensurate with experience. Health, Dental, Vision, and life insurance benefits. We will consider both part-time and full-time seeking applicants.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with SoCalCOSH Organizer/Trainer in the subject line of the email. The position will remain open until filled. We will consider applications on a rolling basis but those received by June 21st, 2019 will receive priority consideration..
Community Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.